Sunday, April 6, 2008

Louie to be missed and a good recipe for live pate.

Hi again,
I am here again and am going to try to post more often. I got a little side-tracked yesterday because my son's dog Louie died yesterday at the age of 12. He was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and that breed usually only lives about 10 years, so I think he did pretty well. All day we tried to get him to come in the house and he would not so that night he passed alone, like he chose to do. We will miss him.
On a better note, here is a Recipe that I make for a nut and seed pate that is really yummy. Like I said, if you are in California and cannot score any organic live almonds you could just sub more pumpkin seeds for them. I do live in California and buy my almonds at farmers market from the grower, which is legal still. It sure is nice out government is looking out for us and all with new bazaar rules and regulations. It may get to the point that to get pure food we are going to have to act like illegal drug users to stay health. God help us. Please support your local organic growers by going to farmers market or buy direct from the farmer. This is not always possible for everything but maybe we should make the effort to do what we can.
For those who are wanting healing for diabetes there is a series of videos on Youtube on the subject by Gabriel Cousens MD. All you have to do is do a search on Youtube and you will find his lectures on that and other stuff. There is a lot of conflicting info and ideas out there that could really de-rail a newcomer but I think that he has the research to back up his claim. His 21 day program to heal diabetes has proved itself effective. I have taken his advice about not eating very much sweet fruit and eating as much "living" food as possible. This includes sprouts and soaked nuts and seeds.
Here is the recipe for my pate. I got the original idea from the book Living in the Raw, Recipes for a Healthy Lifestyle by Rose Lee Calabro. I changed it so much I call it my own but it has the basic health principles intact. I eat this about everyday but am working on a southwest version to make life a little bit more interesting.

Rosemary’s Really Good Live Pate

½ cup raw almonds (put out to soak night before must soak at least 12 hours)
½ cup raw sunflower seeds (put out to soak that morning must soak 6-8 hours)
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds (put out to soak in the morning)
¼ cup raw sesame seeds (put out to soak in the morning

Drain above ing and then put together these ing.

½ red or green sweet pepper
1 good slice of onion (about ½ inch thick)
1 handful of fresh parley (optional but nice if you have it)
1 T lemon juice or vinegar
½ t sea salt
1 T kelp powder
Process these ing in a food processor till well ground but not a “paste.” If you are using a blender be sure that you do not over process.

Add to this,
2 stalks of celery chopped very fine.
I cut mine up in small pieces and just run a few times in my food processor but if you are using a blender I would do this by hand as it gives the pate a little texture and interest.

You can serve this in a half of a sweet pepper cut lengthwise and de-seeded (don’t pile high just spread about ¾ inches thick as it is very rich food). I have also used it to stuff raw mushrooms and as celery fillings for crudités.

Hope you enjoy this and please let me know how it goes.

Shalom for today,
Rosemary

1 comment:

Lista said...

Sorry about your son's dog. I look forward to trying that recipe.